Taking a Closer Look at Household Carbon Monoxide Leaks

Gas and carbon monoxide leaks are far more common than most people realize. In fact, an estimated 50,000 people in America suffer from the effects of carbon monoxide exposure each year. Reports show that at least another 8,000 are affected by natural gas leaks. Though natural gas is an effective, efficient, and typically safe way to help power your home, anyone who has a natural gas connection is at risk of exposure to not only the gas itself but the by-products of using it to fuel household appliances and fixtures.

Where Does Carbon Monoxide Come from?

All fixtures and appliances that use natural gas emit some level of carbon monoxide. This is an invisible and essentially odourless gas that’s generated by gas stoves, furnaces, and other items you may be using in your home. It also stems from cars, lawnmowers, fireplaces, and other sources. In most cases, carbon monoxide is vented outside where it’s less concentrated and not nearly as harmful as it would be inside your home. Sometimes, though, the vents that should send the gas outside become clogged or the appliances that generate this substance malfunction. When that happens, the carbon monoxide isn’t vented properly, so it builds up indoors.

Understanding the Warning Signs of Carbon Monoxide Build-up

If you’re concerned about a natural gas or carbon monoxide leak in your home, Gas Monitor Rental can give you greater peace of mind that your home and family are safe from the potential dangers. In the meantime, though, certain warning signs can let you know that carbon monoxide may be building up in your house. Keep an eye out for the following issues, so you’ll know when or if your family may be in danger of carbon monoxide exposure.

Unusual Stains in Your Home

One clear indication that carbon monoxide isn’t being properly vented is unusual stains around the offending appliances or fixtures. You might notice odd brown or yellow stains near the appliances or their gas connections. Black, sooty stains could also be visible. Those are signs that carbon monoxide is lingering indoors rather than making its way outside where it’s not as concentrated.

Pilot Light Problems

Pilot lights in your gas appliances should be blue. That blue flame is a sign that the flame is burning at the right temperatures and it’s getting plenty of fuel and air. If you notice that the pilot light in your furnace, water heater, or other appliances is burning yellow or orange, it’s a sure-fire sign that there’s a problem. Having a pilot light that frequently goes out could also mean your carbon monoxide ventilation measures aren’t working properly.

Keeping Carbon Monoxide Leaks at Bay

Those are a couple of the most common signs that you may have a carbon monoxide issue. If you notice those or other unusual issues, such as unexplained burning smells or an ongoing odour of rotten eggs, those could also be indications that a problem is developing. Keep an eye on your gas-burning appliances and fixtures, so you’ll be able to stay a step ahead of carbon monoxide build-up. Be sure to contact your natural gas supplier and the appropriate repair technicians to take care of the situation as quickly as possible to avoid the potential dangers.


You May Also Like